[governance] Internet Governance Caucus creating an IGF Multistakeholder Advisory Committee candidate list

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Mar 27 23:42:36 EST 2006

hi,

As may of you are no doubt aware the IGF is going to be accepting
recommendations of candidates for the IGF multistakeholder Advisory
Group (IGF-MAG) until 18 April (ref: http://www.intgovforum.org/).

As candidate lists may be submitted by any stakeholder group, the
Internet governance Caucus (IGC) is planning to put together a list
of candidates.  In an effort to build as diverse, complete and well
thought out a list as possible the IGC is taking several steps.

- a randomly selected nomcom is being formed from CS participants in
the IGC who volunteer to be part of it.
- a call for suggested candidates for the IGC-MAG will be sent out by
the IGC nomcom to the IGC, Plenary and other lists.

A few words about each of these:

Between now and and the 30th of March, we will be looking for
volunteers, within the IGC, for a nominating committee (nomcom).
Assuming that we have at least 25 volunteers who are civil society
subscribers to the IGC email list (an open list), I will then run a
strictly random, transparent and repeatable process, according to the
protocol and code defined in RFC3797, to select 5 nomcom members from
among the volunteers.  I will serve as the non voting chair of the
nomcom.  All nomcom participants (once selected by the random
drawing), voting and non voting, will be disqualified from selection
as IGC candidates for this year's IGF-MAG.  It should be noted that
potential candidates for the IGC-MAG are nonetheless being encouraged
to volunteer for the nomcom, and are volunteering.  The nomcom will
be selected by 1 April and will make its recommendation public before
the deadline of 18 April

In the meantime, the IGC will be drawing up criteria, e.g. diversity
in expertise, focal interest, region, gender, and other
differentiators to the fullest extent possible to guide selection.
The intent of the IGC is to do outreach to the plenary list and to
other civil society groups for recommendations on candidates.
Please note that this does not mean the IGC assumes it is the only or
the official voice of civil society in suggesting candidates, the IGF
process is open to all stakeholders and the IGC is but one
stakeholder among many.  It just means that the IGC wants to make a
concerted effort to produce a good list of candidates for the IGF-MAG.

This email is the first piece of outreach in this process and is
meant to inform the plenary of the activity in the IGC. I would also
like to recommend that any group or individuals who wish to suggest
to the IGC nomcom possible candidates for the IGC-MAG start thinking
about recommendations.  I will send out more information as the
process unfolds further, though I expect that the process will most
probably require the submission of a brief (auto)biographical
statement and perhaps a statement of why they would be good
candidates for the IGF-MAG.

thanks

a.