[governance] [WSIS CS-Plenary] RE: need of a description for capacity building?

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Mar 26 20:47:12 EST 2006

It is my pleasure to agree wholeheartedly with Parminder on this.
--MM

>>> parminder at itforchange.net 3/25/2006 8:58 PM >>>
We all know how important it is to build capacity in developing countries, and among the CS, on difficult and fast changing issues connected to IG. However, I will prefer that this important function is organized more outside the IGF. It is a public policy neutral function (or at least, it should be)and we should have a separately organized effort to get academic institutions, donor, experts etc together and pool in their efforts for this purpose. Have something like an IG capacity building forum. And work hard on this issue.

IGF should also keep an eye on this important function, but if we put it
substantially on its agenda as the first few issues that it should take up
this issue will only serve the need of tokenistic co-opting of developing
country agenda, without giving quarters on the real, and strongly contested, public policy issues that concern developing countries.