[governance] A process suggestion for IGF nominations

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 05:51:36 EST 2006

Dear all,

I fully support Avri's proposal and her comments in response to Milton's and
thank her very much for bringing her expertise in this field and accepting
the responsibility of kickstarting this.

Establishing a nomcom in the transparent way she proposes and extending
invitations to participate in the nomcom to the plenary list is a very good
way to :
- formalize further a process that could be repeated elsewhere (what a
direct selection of MAG members could not do)
- involve the broader CS community, thus suppressing the accusation of
monopoly by a group of "insiders"
- clarify the role of the IGC

Two additional comments below :

*1) Consensus on process*

Avri wrote :

"i suggest that anyone who objects says so publicly on the list by the end
of Thursday (AnyTZ).  if anyone objects after 2 days of discussion, then the
group needs to find another path.  I.e. i am suggesting we need full
consensus (signified by lack of dissent in the next 2 days) to start this."

It is very important that potential objections to this process should be
argumented and that concrete improvements or alternatives be explicitely
suggested. The methodology proposed here is a clear improvement on previous
procedures and it would be bad if it were not implemented only
because people raised objections without proposing anything better.

*2) Composition of the MAG*

I understand that the MAG is likely to have about 40 people, half of which
are governments. Although the balance is not what it should be
(over-representation of governments) this is what we have to deal with at
this stage and the key element was to make sure that the group is
effectively multi-stakeholder. We might tend to underestimate the importance
of the agreement on that point by the Group of 77 because we believe the
principle of multi-stakeholderism is now well established but this is an
important milestone in every respect.

This leaves about 20 people for other actors (civil society, business sector
and Internet Technical Community). Keeping civil society and internet
technical community as two groups for the designation in the MAG might be
tactically useful in order to get 12-13 people for both (6-7 people per
group). Even if we all know it is often hard to make a difference.

I suppose the process we are establishing here applies mostly to civil
society selection. Would there be a separate one for the Internet Technical
Community ? and where should Academia stand ? (I suppose in both). This is
an open question, but do not minimize the tactical interest.

I send a separate mail on possible roles for the MAG.

Best

Bertrand