[governance] THEME PROPOSAL: internet content filtering andfreeexpression

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Wed Mar 22 05:03:48 EST 2006

Hi Ralf,

But is not the case that EDRi and most of the digital rights orgs, such as
those that were involved in GILC, are focused on first generation civil and
political rights, rather than second generation ec and social rights---much
less third generation rights like peace, development, etc?  There's been
sort of a disconnect between Internet civil liberties-oriented NGOs and the
broader human rights community on this point.  I don't see that there's been
a real engagement on what  2nd and 3rd generation rights really mean in an
'information society' context; Rikke's forthcoming book on MIT press
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=10872 tries to
open up this discussion a bit more, but it's still a fairly preliminary
effort.

Best,

Bill