[governance] Going forward - Role of the governance caucus

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Thu Mar 9 14:49:56 EST 2006

Jeanette Hofmann ha scritto:
> Hi, I've been offline for some days and missed an interesting debate. I
> hope I can push it a bit further.

Jeanette, I agree with your analysis, and also with the importance of
continuing the caucus and trying to preserve its role as the main civil
society coordination forum for IG matters (which, however, can happen
only on an opt-in basis, i.e. if the caucus is credible and inclusive,
and not by authority or force of majority).

So I would support your proposal; the only slight change I would make is
on this part:

> In short, I propose to create a smaller entity amidst the caucus as it
> is. The place for discussion would still be the IG list. The only
> difference is that members of the smaller unit would elect the chair and
> agree on statements.

Rather than saying that we create a new smaller entity, I'd rather say
that the caucus will now start to have a formal membership roll; we keep
this list as an open forum, where also non-members can participate, but
we start to maintain an opt-in membership roll, which you can join by
signing up the charter. So we're not creating anything new, we're just
making the caucus structure a bit more defined.

Of course, as in any of the countless bottom-up online membership
organization projects that we tried in the last years, we could now
start an endless discussion about the content of the charter... but
perhaps we can keep it to the bare minimum, and maybe also trust a few
of us to prepare it.