[governance] right to development, the structure of IGC and IG issues for march deadline

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 8 20:53:23 EST 2006

At 6:58 PM -0500 3/8/06, Milton Mueller wrote:
>But we tend to code them differently in the U.S. ...
>And coming from a more libertarian political tradition, we would recognize  ...

Sorry, but by no means is the US mainly libertarian (nor is its tradition such).

In fact those who can be classified as true libertarian are in a fairly limited minority.  It is one tradition, but among others which collectively have a much wider following in the US.

The great schism that now characterizes US political life finds libertarian thought on one side, arrayed against quite opposite thinking.  While the constant blunders - by themselves - of the current administration play a large role in its very shrunken status with the populace as a whole, the diminished place of libertarian thought is also discernible in those numbers, if not perfectly.

A libertarian interpretation is entirely appropriate for an individual to claim.  It cannot be said to characterize the US - that would be a misrepresentation.

David