[governance] [WSIS CS-Plenary] ITU reform (Was WSIS: Golden Book)

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Tue Mar 7 05:15:21 EST 2006

Hi Parminder,

I'd think the first thing to do would be to get up to speed on where the
conversation is within the ITU.  This is a very long-running debate, and
there have been recent proposals by some member governments to make ITU
standards and some other materials freely available (not sure the format
issue has been addressed), so it's already a live topic the secretariat is
looking at.  An optimal letter would be aware of/positioned within that
context.  Never hurts to give a nod toward the esteemed delegation of
country xyz etc.

It wouldn't hurt to submit the letter via the online forum, just for the
record, but probably few member governments or firms are bothering to look
there anymore.  Maybe they will before the Council meeting.  Either way,
I'd also submit it directly to the SG and perhaps copy the heads of SPU,
external relations, and the sections.

I'm leaving town in a couple of hours but would be happy to follow up on
this with you and others from next week.

Cheers,

Bill

cs/summary
_of_the_itu_reform_meeting.doc>http://www.itu.int/council/wsis/Working_Group
_on_WSIS/Feb-2006/docs/summary_of_the_itu_reform_meeting.doc

On openness there are the following statements:

  "5. Membership, access and openness

  "5.1. ITU is sufficiently open because legal entities can
become  ITU Sector Members or Associates. Technical workshops are open to
  individuals and external organizations.

  "5.2. ITU's approach to membership could be adapted to create more
openness in the post WSIS environment to benefit from the
  knowledge of civil society about local conditions.
The  consequences of ITU decisions are very important to civil society
  as well as to the private sector.

  "5.3. ITU publications and standards should be freely
available  for downloads."