[governance] Annan to establish international forum on internet governance

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Fri Mar 3 08:29:22 EST 2006

hi,

 From my, albeit sometimes limited understanding, the IGF is not
bared from considering the the issues that fall under the rubric of
'enhanced cooperation".  And although there are countries and blocks
of countries that would prefer this not be included in the IGF, I
believe as one wise man has said, the proverbial "barn door is
open."  but it is still an open question as to what subjects the IGF
will cover, both in the near term and in the longer view.

And as far as I can tell, at every step, Civil society will be
included.  As I understand things at the moment, the UNSG was
requested to do something, and do something he did:  He appointed
Nitin Desai to do something.  Personally I think we can trust Nitin
when it comes to multistakeholder participation.  As far as I know,
there are no open consultation meetings planned at this point.  I do
expect that in time there will be many consultations with all the
stakeholders.

I think it is important at this point for us, as civil society, to
get our act together so that as things develop we are ready.  And I
think we have a ways to go yet before we have our act together.
Though some of the suggestions being floated today sound interesting.

I think we must keep on monitoring the situation as it unfolds, but I
really don't think there is any reason to worry yet.

In terms of full disclosure: I am doing a little bit, a very little
bit, of consulting for the IGF secretariat, and will certainly raise
the flag and will inform this group, as I have done with IGF and
ICANN stuff before, if I see anything for us to get involved in or to
worry about.  I do _not_ speak for the IGF Secretariat in any way and
am not a member of the Secretariat, but i do speak to them a bunch.

thanks

a.