[governance] Coordination considered harmful (Was: China To Launch Alternate Country Code Domains]

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Thu Mar 2 09:35:39 EST 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 11:52:02AM +0100,
 Meryem Marzouki <marzouki at ras.eu.org> wrote
 a message of 27 lines which said:

> The situation is quite easy to understand:

Yes it is. The "coordination" is either:

1) Mandatory, which means it has the authority to force decisions,
such as who manages ".com" or ".fr". If so, this is just a new root,
may be better than ICANN (this is not difficult) but hardly different
in its principle.

2) Non-binding and in that case, it is simply multiple roots, and you
lose the current property of the DNS that one name -> one resource,
wherever you are. I let you decide if this loss is a big problem or
not but let's not play with words. If we want multiple roots, let us
be aware of what we will lose, not just of what we will gain.