[governance] [Fwd: China To Launch Alternate Country Code Domains]

Joe Baptista baptista at cynikal.net
Thu Mar 2 08:59:41 EST 2006

Meryem Marzouki wrote:

>>Root which are exclusive suffer technical failure in
>>the long term.
>>

>Who said here that roots should be exclusive ? If I say - like some
>others, including you - that this only needs good coordination (or
>governance), it obviously means that they shouldn't be exclusive, or
>isolated islands.

The issue is not that roots should be exclusive.  Exclusive roots
however are a fact of life.  IANA is an exclusive root - so is the china
root.  You are correct - roots should not be exclusive.  If we are to
use the internet together we must co-operate and share our network names
and numbers together.

>We should better discuss what 'good coordination' means in this
>context, rather than loosing our time with erroneous interpretation
>of each other messages.

Thats easy.  If someone creates a tld then list it in your roots.  Its a
technical function which requires very little co-ordination.  After all,
is someone co-ordinating the .com zone file - of course not - why would
people then think the root requires any more special treatment then the
.com zone - it does not.

 As an Internet Governance group you should of all realized by now that
your ability to control the internet, regulate it or for that matter
co-ordinate it won't work.  The only moral authority you all have is as
facilitators and nothing more.  You should all focus on that and get off
the internet governance bandwagon.  Great parties - no action.

regards
joe