[governance] Re: Burr & Cade: proposal for introducing multi-lateral oversight of the root

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Jul 21 19:32:23 EDT 2006

McTim ha scritto:
>> The Burr-Cade proposal only addresses a very small, but important issue
>> many governments have raised: what if the USG considers that my country
>> code has to disappear from the Internet ?
>
> But if you remove all governments, you remove this issue as well.

While I agree with you in theory, practice shows that, from entire areas
of the world, the only participation you get is through the government.
We should push for multistakeholder models rather than for
intergovernmental ones, but at the same time I wouldn't be happy to
throw the problem of US oversight out of the door (by removing any kind
of governmental approval function) and then see it come back again from
the window (because, for example, the entire private sector
representation is dominated by US multinationals).

Beware that any maneuver towards total removal of governmental oversight
might be perceived as an attempt to support the continuation of US
hegemony over the Internet in other, less evident forms; if that is not
your objective, you should couple your proposal with clear provisions to
ensure real geographical, cultural and political diversity (no, an
Australian does not represent Asia, and an executive of a US company
from an African country does not represent Africa).

As an example, just have a look at the composition of ICANN's new
"Strategy Committee", which is handling exactly this process of
reforming ICANN's institutional structure:

http://www.icann.org/announcements/psc-consultation.htm

(at the end). Is that the kind of multistakeholder diversity we
envisage? Seven developed country members over eight? Seven over eight
male? Five over eight with English as their mother tongue? All of them
from US businesses (oh wait, there's a New Zealander) or from
governments? (Apparently, we just got one civil society person into the
group. We proposed two, but we were told: hey, one is enough!)

And to this regard:

> I see ICANN continuing it's reforms towards transparency and
> openness.

...this is the best joke of the year :-)
     governance at lists.cpsr.org