[governance] Burr & Cade: proposal for introducing multi-lateral oversight of the roo

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 01:42:44 EDT 2006

hello!

On 7/21/06, Mawaki Chango <ki_chango at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 7/20/06, Adam Peake (ajp at glocom.ac.jp) <apeake at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > <snip>
> >

> > > A sensible proposal, could be a great step forward.
> >
> > except for those of us who would prefer NO governmental
> > oversight.
>
> Precisely, the membership of this Internet "security council"
> could be made up not only of government senior representatives
> but also from experts as well as representatives of the main
> stakeholder groups.

It "could", but probably won't.  Governments aren't likely to give up any
percieved "power" lightly, as we saw during discussions around
MSHism @ WSIS.

If I find it difficult to get a seat at the table of WSIS/IGF/other
inetrgovernamental
fora, why on earth would I give up my seat (with full voice) at the
current table of Internet Governance fora in favor of smt that may or
may not allow me to participate as fully as I do now?

In other words, the current system (as I participate in it) IS made up
of "experts as well as representatives of the main stakeholder
groups."  Governments are free to join in as much as anyone else.  Why
kowtow to them and let them build an alternative structure if they
can't be bothered to join in the current structure.

> Would you agree with that, McTim, or do you see ICANN as it is
> now with no oversight at all, its decisions over the root being
> final?

I see ICANN continuing it's reforms towards transparency and
openness. I see the IANA making decisions on root zone edits that
preserve the operational stability of the Internet without heavy handed
interference from layer 8 and layer 9 interests.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim