[governance] Burr & Cade: proposal for introducing multi-lateral oversight of the root

ian.peter at ianpeter.com ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Jul 20 20:17:30 EDT 2006

Quoting Avri Doria <avri at psg.com>:

> <personal viewpoint>
>
> On 20 jul 2006, at 10.12, Adam Peake (ajp at glocom.ac.jp) wrote:
>
>> A sensible proposal, could be a great step forward.
>

> while I think it is interesting that there is a proposal and that
> people have begun to talk about there being possible alternatives to
> US government oversight of the root, I don't understand why CS, or
> ICANN for that matter, would be interested in supporting a model that
>  was not a multistakeholder model.
>
> in some ways this seems like it might actually be a step backward in
> the process of enabling new and improved multistakeholder governance
> models.
>
> a.

Well, I'm not sure that multistakeholder means that every group is involved in
everything and every process?

This is the authorisation role we are talking about. It gives a final tick to
recommendations that come through the multistakeholder ICANN processes.
Its the
sort of role its good to give to governments because it makes them feel
important and in control wheras in effect the multistakeholder process decides
everything.

I think you will have enormous difficulties if you interpret
multistakeholder to
mean that there are no unique functions best carried out by groups of
stakeholders best equipped to fulfil the task (eg there might be an insistence
one day on equal numbers of government reps in IETF working groups or
government board members on RIRs or other such dysfunctional ideas).

Maybe we need to define a multistakeholder model? To me it is something like a
model which involves all parties appropriately utilising their various
strengths to achieve outcomes ....

Ian

     governance at lists.cpsr.org