[governance] ITU and Follow Up

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon Jan 30 02:53:43 EST 2006

Robert:
Wolfgang thanks for pointing out that the Kurth is in the running for  the position of Secretary General of the ITU. If i'm not mistaken, there is also a swiss candidate.

Wolfgang:
There are four candidates. Next to the German Kurth (the head of the German FCC), there is Mr. Bois, Deputy Secretary of the ITU from Brazil, Mr. Toure, Director ITU-D from Africa and Mr. Furrer, Secretary of Communication of Switzerland and a key fugure in the WSIS process.

Robert:
The first thing that comes to mind is how close (or not) the position is to the one the EU will be putting forward. I know there was considerable tension between different EU states in the final WSIS negotiations . Do those tensions still exist? What does Austria say? What's the position of the country that holds the presidency after Austria?

Wolfgang:
Europe continues to try to speak with one voice, keeping the won differences - which are substantial - under control. The Austrian presidency has  not yet show its face. We will havce Mr. Singer, the Austrian GAC member on the podium on the forthcoming Domain Pulse Conference in Berlin. I will report to the list if something is happening.
http://www.domainpulse.org/pages/d/programm/index.en.html

Robert:
Canada, New Zealand, Uruguay and Singapore  would be a key counties  to consult.

Wolfgang:
Agree

Best