[governance] Losing focus: IGF and "technical discussions"

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Sun Jan 29 22:19:45 EST 2006

This seems to me to push onto key turf, Seiiti, if we want to get our
hands around the prize.

The years-long struggle at WSIS is the backdrop, the setting, for me
anyway.  On one side was the argument that, to preserve free
expression, we could not hazard governments to bureaucratize the net.
Some might throttle it.  On the other side, the argument held that we
need just the reverse - we need a little more regularity, and
accountability.  (Overlaid on this dispute was a more visceral
disagreement - linked
<http://davidallen.org/papers/Internet_Governance-A4.pdf>here is a
brief piece, for the final negotiation, that goes a little further on
the story).

But I believe we will find both arguments, from each side, are right.
The only question is how to fit the two opposites together ...

How can this be?  The story of the rise of the net is one of
alternation between innovation where creativity flowers freely, on
the one side, and the more orderly deliberations for
standards-setting, on the other.  All that worked seamlessly, when
confined to a group of like-minded engineers, the IETF.  As the net
took on global significance though - and many assorted actors got
into the mix - what had previously been an easy dance between
innovation and standardization (even if subtle and complex) became
much harder to negotiate.  I think it not too much to say, that
problem - to expand the scope of participation (and not just among
nations, but among the many, many different interests and styles) -
directly triggered the struggle underlying WSIS.

In a net world, but with many more actors, how can we preserve the
fruits of innovation alongside a stable base of regularity, when that
orderliness and security are necessary in the first place to take the
risks of innovation?

That is the thorny question it seems should most vex IGF.  You will
say, but my goodness, governance is so much more than innovation and
standards, however arduous it may be to do both.  That is right of
course.  But the underlying challenge - to maintain order at the same
time that we _also_ try to let a thousand flowers bloom - proves, I
believe it will turn out, to be the same conundrum we confront in any
number of the issue areas calling out from internet governance.

This is not the place to make the case, beyond stating it simply,
baldly.  If correct, it gives both sides in the long WSIS struggle
each a core stake in these next discussions ... both for the freedom
staked on one side and for the accountability staked on the other.

Yours below takes us into some of the thickets such an approach would
have to navigate.

--Companies that would standardize, for their interests, but perhaps
not for broader interests?  The classic story of Internet
standardization has the engineer shedding personal interests, once an
innovation has been trialed in 'running code.'  To come up with new
code in the first place, the innovation in other words, the engineer
tries for personal excellence; this may bring respect and an enhanced
reputation among peers.  But once it is time to pick just which code
will be standard, the welfare of the whole community takes precedence
over any individual.  That is the sort of template such an approach
would hold all actors and companies to.

--End-to-end?  Now we have stepped back from the incremental
innovations, which are only possible when the big architectural
innovation and choice - e2e - had already been made.  This is the
discontinuous jump (call it a 'new paradigm' perhaps) that made so
many of the later incremental steps possible.

Now today, the big architectural questions are in play again, for
instance NGN on one side and the new net design efforts such as GENI
on another.  Since these choices are of such fundamental importance
to future possibilities for later, incremental innovation, presumably
we care a great deal about sustaining the environment for these basic
innovations.  We also care much more which choice is made, since
follow-on innovation for whole societies - for all of us, really - is
at stake.  This is akin to / can be analogized to the choice of
dominant desktop OS.

Incidentally, if you take a look at work such as GENI, turns out that
your pointer to security is one of the mainsprings there.  Also
perhaps worth noting, the e2e question is not per se whether there
will be intelligence in the core as well as the periphery.   Routers
are intelligent enough.  The question is more than that.  So for
instance, we want to understand how NGN impacts the possibility for
innovation at the edges.  Are there other advantages or
disadvantages?  That is just for starters ...

--Individual - "full" - participation in governance, such as
standards-setting?  With 6 billion people on the globe and something
like 5 billion still without a connection, we can see there is a
perplexing problem, to get everyone to the table ...  But in fact,
this does go to a core issue with the conceptualization laid out
above:  That is adequate means of representation, so that a multitude
of voices are somehow aggregated.  This 'architecture of community' -
which in good circumstances succeeds to represent multiple voices -
turns out I think to be one pivot for making the dance between order
and freedom work.  Surely the question of 'good' representation is
going to be central to IGF concerns.

Well, this has grown a great deal longer than it should ... but
perhaps there is something useful.  I hope yours may lead us onto
some new turf.

David