[governance] RALOs without halos

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Tue Jan 24 10:12:54 EST 2006

Il giorno mar, 24/01/2006 alle 03.04 -0800, Danny Younger ha scritto:
> Vittorio,
>
> For an incredibly long time I have been asking your
> Committee to open up a mailing/discussion list so that
> everyone in the At-Large may participate in joint
> talks with your Committee.  This request has been
> repeatedly denied.

Actually, there already are a number of lists and tools for discussion
with the ALAC and inside the At Large:
- the committee@ email address
- the ALAC Forum
- the ALS discussion list
(these last two are very silent, by the way)
- the GA list
- this list

About one year ago we tried to establish a sort of "civil society list
at ICANN" jointly between us and the NCUC, but it never took off.

So I'm not sure that one more list is the answer; I don't see rushes of
people willing to exchange correspondence with the ALAC that are not
already covered by writing directly to us, or by using this list, or the
GA list. I guess that your problem is that *you* - and those few people
still active on the GA list - feel unable to discuss with us, but this
is a separate issue and I wouldn't make it more general than it is.

About yourself, perhaps we should encourage more ALAC members to become
active on the GA list, but I must also say that this is more likely to
occur if the approach of the current GA subscribers was a little less,
er, confrontational towards them.

> ... and as allies don't act to formalize arrangements
> to permanently deny representation to their peers, I'm
> sure that you will postpone your RALO-building
> exercises accordingly while talks are in progress.

Well, you might imagine that, since we in Europe decided to launch a
public consultation through an open web forum, we would be more than
happy to have a discussion there. I would encourage active Europeans to
submit comments there, it's the purpose of the entire exercise.

Separately, as I imagine you are interested in the North American RALO,
I would encourage you to discuss the matter with our North American
members and find a good way to start open discussions there as well.