[governance] RALOs without halos

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Tue Jan 24 08:26:05 EST 2006

Milton Mueller wrote:

>>So, why not propose right now (for the upcoming ICANN meeting) that ALAC
>>and NCUC cease to exist and are replaced by a non-profit non-business
>>constituency of civil society organizations, with no membership
>>restrictions other then being properly registered as such in any
>>country? A sort of World Caucus of NGOs for Internet Governance (WCNIG)
>>

>ALAC and NCUC should establish an integrated council/organization that serves as the umbrella for coordinating and developing positions within ICANN. But it would be disastrous to eliminate them and give up structural representation within ICANN. That would simply throw away real leverage we have.

Sorry Milton, I guess the way I expressed it made a wrong impression. I
understand this would be a process, and of course a joint transition
group could be established to carry out this task. We cannot lose this
space within Icann -- to the contrary, we have to make it stronger and
more consistent/effective.

frt rgds

--c.a.

--