[governance] RALOs without halos

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Mon Jan 23 18:07:58 EST 2006

>>> Carlos Afonso <ca at rits.org.br> 1/23/2006 10:09 AM >>>
>My view thus remains the same I have been defending for quite a while:
>we need a new form of non-profit, non-business civil society
>representation within ICANN, which would supersede both ALAC and NCUC

As you know, I agree.

>So, why not propose right now (for the upcoming ICANN meeting) that ALAC
>and NCUC cease to exist and are replaced by a non-profit non-business
>constituency of civil society organizations, with no membership
>restrictions other then being properly registered as such in any
>country? A sort of World Caucus of NGOs for Internet Governance (WCNIG)

ALAC and NCUC should establish an integrated council/organization that serves as the umbrella for coordinating and developing positions within ICANN. But it would be disastrous to eliminate them and give up structural representation within ICANN. That would simply throw away real leverage we have.