[governance] [ga] Re: Establishment of the European Regional At-Large Organizaton

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Jan 23 10:47:30 EST 2006

Il giorno lun, 23/01/2006 alle 07.25 -0800, Danny Younger ha scritto:
> So, If your chapter (the accredited at-large
> structure) is basically just you when it comes to
> ICANN issues, why do you warrant an equivalency to 44
> other individuals that took the time to sign up and
> pay a fee (while you through your own organization pay
> nothing)?

If I were the representative of ISOC Italy in the EURALO council, I
would be representing all individual members of ISOC Italy - 72 at the
moment - exactly as the representative of individuals would be
representing 44 other individuals that are directly members of the
EURALO (the ratio varies with the total number of members). Actually,
the representation ratio is averagely more favourable if you are an
individual EURALO member than if you try to be the rep of an
organization, and that's exactly to reward direct participation in
EURALO.

I expect (reasonably, I think) that most individual members of the
EURALO would just sign up and delegate activity to their elected
representatives, much like (as you point out) most individual members of
ISOC Italy delegate activity in the ICANN field to me.

It's false that I don't pay nothing, I pay 50 euros a year as membership
fee to my organization, which in turn sometimes subsidizes my
participation to IG-related events. In any case, the EURALO membership
fee is expected to be a one-time-only (not yearly) very low (10 euros?)
amount of money, mostly meant to screen out fakes and make capture more
difficult.

- And, on another matter, just to get your facts straight: it is not
true that you were the only registrant getting angry and loud about the
"Verisign settlement" agreements and, specifically, the proposed price
increase in the .com registry fee. For what regards the ALAC, you might
read the statement we gave in Vancouver:
http://alac.icann.org/announcements/announcement-02dec05.htm

Regards,