[governance] Upcoming Events & thoughts going forward ...

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Sun Jan 22 15:22:51 EST 2006

On 22-Jan-06, at 9:20 AM, Veni Markovski wrote:

> Btw, we are thinking of organizing a small - one day - workshop in
> the beginning of July in Sofia - right after the ICANN meeting in
> Morocco. Please, keep it in your calendars, just in case. Most
> probably on July 3.

If you are going to mention workshops and/or other events related to
internet governance - then I do want to point out one event - the one
organized by the Diplo Foundation -  that is coming up much sooner.
Details are below...

On the subject of how to best support the ongoing activities of the
Internet Caucus, I would be very cautious. The point should not be
lost that organizational capture is a very real possibility.

we should start the discussion, but with one proviso - that we
proceed in a structured way, one where we respect the many different
views that are held by the caucus members. We could start with a
brainstorming session , one where we put forward ideas on how a new
structure could look like . Ideas should be able to put forward ideas
without prejudice. The brainstorming session would , hopefully, be a
place where neither existing nor past battles are fought.

I recognize that there are fundamental differences of opinion between
many of the people here. From what I've read, the majority of the
issues are based on - past - events. Though it will be difficult,
let's try to bury past issue and start a new. I'm a bit tired of the
personal attacks - let's stop it.  There's a lot to do, let's get to it.

regards

Robert

International Conference : Internet Governance - The Way forward
(from Tunis to Athens via Malta)
Organized by: Diplo Foundation
Dates: Feb 10-12, 2005
Details @ <http://www.diplomacy.edu/Conferences/IG>

Provisional Programme*

Introduction
This conference aims to contribute to the process of establishing the
Internet Governance Forum (IGF) by facilitating an informed and
constructive discussion. The IGF must be different from existing
international initiatives and organisations in many respects. For
example, it should accommodate specific working methods and
approaches practiced over the years by Internet developers. At the
same time, the IGF must be linked to existing international policy
and legal systems. The conference will involve the participation of
all major actors in the IG field, and make use of available
knowledge, expertise, and experience as inputs to the policy process.
Given Diplo’s mission, specific emphasis will be placed on the
developmental aspects.

Methodology
The methodology of the Malta Conference can be explained through an
analogy with the computer game SimCity. While SimCity simulates the
building of a city, we will be “building” the Internet Governance
Forum. The construction process will be organised through eight
panels. Each panel will begin with 3-4 introductory remarks. Like in
SimCity, we will not start from scratch: experiences, rules, and
principles will be taken into account.

Friday, 10th February 2006

09:30 – 10:30

Official Opening and Welcome Address

Overview and Introduction

Invited Speakers:

     *

       Rev. Prof Peter Serracino Inglott, former Rector of the
University of Malta
     *

       Dr Jovan Kurbalija, Director of DiploFoundation
     *

       Dr Alex Sceberras Trigona, former Minister of Foreign Affairs
of Malta

11.00 – 12.30

During the first day of the conference, after the official opening,
we will set the stage for the building of the IGF. The outlining
session will start with a broad range of reflections on networking as
an organisational principle, highlighting key elements in the
building of network-based decision making processes. IGF background
information will then be provided through an elaboration of the
sequence of conference panels and how panel discussions fit into the
“construction” of the IGF?

The session will conclude by outlining the formal IGF requirements,
as specified by the WSIS process. With these “requirements” set in
place, the conference will explore which constructions/ideas can be
borrowed from other initiatives.

Lunch
Presentation of Research:
The Protection of the Public Interest with Regards to the Internet.

Panel 1 and 2
Experiences of Various Internet Bodies and other International
Initiatives

Invited Speakers:

     *

       Dr Jeanette Hofmann, Social Science Research Center - Berlin
     *

       Mr Paul Wilson, Executive Director of APNIC
     *

       Professor Wolfgang Kleinwächter, University of Aarhus, Denmark
     *

       Dr Michael Zammit Cutajar, former Executive Director of the
Kyoto Process
     *

       Dr Roberta Ritson, World Health Organisation, Geneva

14.00 – 15.30

One feature specific to the Internet is its unique system of
governance. The creation of the IGF should include governance
mechanisms that have proven successful during Internet development.
The first panel will focus on the experiences of various internet
bodies, including IETF, ICANN, RIRs, and ISOC.

Coffee Break

16.00 – 17.30

Speakers in the second panel will discuss the experiences and
knowledge that the IGF can borrow from other international
initiatives, particularly from fields that require a multistakeholder
approach and cover complex issues. The environment and health
protection will form the main case studies. Special attention will be
paid to the WGIG as one of the most successful examples of a
multistakeholder initiative.

Internet Governance Capacity Building Initiative

17:30 – 18:00

At the end of the first day, conference attendees will learn more
about the Internet Governance Capacity Building Initiative (IGCBI).
Members of the initiative team will introduce the most successful
participants from the programmes held in 2005.

Throughout the conference, special poster sessions will present the
results of the research conducted by programme participants during
2005 on the following topics: IP Allocation and IPv6, The Role of
Civil Society from Developing Countries in Internet Governance, and
The Protection of the Public Interest in Regards to the Internet.

Saturday, 11th February 2006

With the background information in place, the second day of the
conference will be dedicated to constructing the IGF.

Panel 3
Composition and Organisation of the Internet Governance Forum

Invited Speakers:

     * Mr Markus Kummer, the Internet Governance Forum
     * Professor Ang Peng Hwa, Nanyang Technological University,
Singapore
     * Mr José Marcos Nogueira Viana, Permanent Mission of Brasil in
Geneva

9.00 – 10.30

The third panel will focus on the composition and organisation of the
Internet Governance Forum, including discussions of such questions as:

     *

       How can the structure of the forum appropriately involve
various stakeholders and cover a wide range of issues?
     *

       How can the forum promote a bottom-up and inclusive nature,
while maintaining an efficiently operational organisation?
     *

       What will be the most appropriate organisational form for the
forum (e.g. open structure, secretariat, bureau)?

Coffee Break

Panel 4
The Working Methods of the Internet Governance Forum

Invited Speakers:

     *

       Mr Amr Aljowally, Permanent Mission of Egypt in Geneva
     *

       Ms Avri Doria, Research Consultant, Providence, Rhode Island
     *

       Dr Claudia Padovani, Univerity of Padova
     *

       Mr Adam Peake, GLOCOM - Tokyo

11.00 – 12.30

The fourth panel will focus on the working methods of the IGF. In the
past, working methodology has been a stumbling block in many
multistakeholder initiatives. The panel will explore various
innovative possibilities which could be achieved through a careful
blend of UN rules of procedure and practice, used by the wider
Internet community including the IETF. Decisions are usually the
outcome of processes. What should be the form and status of
decisions? Recommendations are one of the most likely forms of
decisions. The panel will discuss the possibility of using examples,
such as the OECD’s recommendations. Given the innovative nature of
the IGF’s organisation, special emphasis will be placed on various
monitoring mechanisms, including monitoring the preservation of the
multistakeholder nature of the IGF.

Lunch
Presentation of Research:
The Role of Civil Society from Developing Countries in Internet
Governance

Panel 5
Financial and Logistical Issues

Invited Speakers:

     *

       Ms Ayesha Hassan, International Chamber of Commerce, Paris
     *

       Mr Guido Maccari, OECD, Paris
     *

       Ms Karen Banks, Association for Progressive Communication, London
     *

       Mr Ken Lohento, Center for International ICT Policies for
Central and West Africa

14.00 – 15.30

The fifth panel will move on to financial and logistical issues,
which often make or break international initiatives, beginning with
discussions on the financial aspects of the IGF (How should it be
financed? What should be the role of various stakeholders when it
comes to financing?). Next, panellists will discuss the organisation
of the IGF’s activities. The IGF must “walk the talk” by utilising
the Internet for its operation. This part of the discussion will
focus on finding the right balance between traditional (face-to-face)
and online interactions. The panel will explore the pros and cons of
using various online platforms, applications, and techniques. Main
emphasis will be on the full integration of online methods in the
work of the IGF, including discussion of questions such as the formal
status of online input, the response to online input, and bringing
all the stakeholders to a similar level when it comes to the use of
online tools.

Discussions should facilitate an “out-of-the-box” thinking, including
the possibility of utilising the IGF’s online deliberation tools to
bypass existing functional barriers to the full participation of
developing countries, including the lack of funds to participate in
numerous IG related meetings, small diplomatic missions, as well as
limited and usually overstretched local expertise for covering IG
issues.

Coffee Break

Panel 6
Positioning the IGF within Existing Structures and Initiatives
Related to Internet Governance

Invited Speakers:

     *

       Professor Milton Mueller, University of Syracuse, New York
     *

       Mr Latif Ladid, The New Internet based on IPv6
     *

       Dr William Drake, President of Computer Professionals for
Social Responsibility, Geneva
     *

       Mr Joseph Tabone, Chairmain of Malta Telecommunication Authority

16.00 – 17.30

The sixth panel will focus on positioning the IGF within existing
structures and initiatives related to Internet Governance. It is
clearly stated in the WSIS’s “urban requirements” that the IGF should
complement, not replace, existing forums, bodies, and initiatives in
the field of Internet Governance. Discussions will focus on the
relationship between the IGF and Internet related bodies (e.g. IETF,
ISOC, ICANN), regional and international organisations, national
governments, and academic/research communities.

After 19.30

Tour and Conference Dinner

Hopefully, by the end of Saturday, the main IGF building blocks will
be in place. The conference dinner will be another opportunity to
discuss the two days’ events in a historical setting over an
excellent meal.

Sunday, 12th February 2006

Panel 7
The Internet Governance Forum and Development

Invited Speakers:

     * Ms Eskedar Nega, UN Economic Commision for Africa
     * Ms Fuatai Purcell, National ICT Secretariat of Samoa
     * Mr Waudo Singanga, Computer Society of Kenya

9.00 – 10.30

On Sunday, the third day of the conference, the seventh panel will
focus on the Internet Governance Forum and development. The IGF must
ensure that developmental aspects are covered in the deliberation of
Internet Governance issues. Capacity-building was unanimously
supported during the WSIS/WGIG process as an important developmental
issue. How can capacity building at various levels be ensured,
including immediate (helping participants from developing countries
to fully participate in the IGF) and strategic (introducing IG
related training in the curricula of academic and training
institutions, building research capacities, etc.)?

	Coffee Break

Conclusions

11.00 – 12.30

The last session of the conference will try to bring all the building
blocks together in the creation of an IGF "building" (mainly
virtual), which is likely to remain under “heavy construction.”
Through subsequent iterations, starting with consultations in Geneva
immediately after the Malta Conference, the IGF building should
attain a functional shape. Conclusion of the Malta Conference.

Lunch
Presentation of Research:
IP Allocation and IPv6

14.00 – 17.00

After the conclusion of the conference on Sunday afternoon, the first
meeting of the Internet Governance Capacity Building Initiative will
be held, during which plans for training seminars and research
activities in 2006 will be discussed.

* This is a provisional programme and will be subject to changes in
the following weeks.