[governance] Establishment of the European Regional At-Large Organizaton

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sat Jan 21 12:00:13 EST 2006

Dear list,

When we undertook the first effort to build an EU-RALO in 2003 ( the so-called Milano-Process) we proposed a tripartite structure for the EU-RALO, based an the new bylaws which excluded more or less individuals. The proposed scheme for the EU-RALO at this time was
* one third should from European ISOC Chapters, coordinated by ISOC Europe (which never was established due to conflicts between different European ISOC Chapters),
* one third from CECUA, a recognized European Organisation für Computer Users
* and the other third from individuals.

The proposed statues would have allowed that one third of members from a EU-RALO Board would have come from individuals, which play in the Internet world very often a greater role than organisations. And if you look into some of the accredited ALS, very often it is not the organisation which has become an ALS, it is the single person who represents this organisation. And if this person disappears again, the organisation disappears and there is no sustainability.

When the results of the Milano Process were tabled in the ICANN meeting in Tunis, the members of the ALAC did not show any interest in the proposed approach. The timetable of the Milan Process was to have a first constitutional meeting for an EU-RALO during the ICANN meeting in Roma, March 2004. But nothing happened. Neither in 2004 nor in 2005.

While I understand, why in 2002 the ICANN reformers produced the buerocratic ALAC system - I never shared this policy - I still believe, that there has to be a channel for involvment of un-organized individuals. Existing organisations with a representative leadership are important players, but they should not be the only bands in town. The challenge, as I see it, is to have also a critical mass of engaged individuals. If you have enough individuals the disappearance of one or two or three of them will not lead to the disapperance of the process. I know this is difficult to organize, I know this needs time, I know this is not covered by the existing bylaws, but in my understanding, that is the way forward. We have entered new territory of governance and bottom up policy development and we have to invent new forms of representation. You can not settle tomorrows problems with yesterdays organisational structures :-(((.

best

wolfgang