[governance] Preparation of Athens meeting - IGF

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Tue Jan 17 13:41:25 EST 2006

The Greek Ambassador was at the recent ICANN meeting in Vancouver. He
seems like a quite open fellow, one who - might i add - is very civil
society friendly.

There is no need to burn bridges.. Before things get escalated -
perhaps someone can get in touch with George. I am happy to do so
should no one else volunteer.

regards,

Robert

--
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>
Managing Director, Privaterra <http://www.privaterra.org>

On 17-Jan-06, at 1:17 PM, William Drake wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I spoke today with both IGF and ITU people on other matters and
> mentioned
> the invitation; neither had received it, at least as of yet.  Nice
> attention to diplomatic detail here.
>
> As evident at PrepCom-3, the Greek representative appears to have
> ambitions.  It would be interesting to know whether they are actively
> supported by the EC and other member states.  One suspects that all
> politics are local here.
>
> I think it would be very helpful if the caucus were to send a letter
> urging that this meeting be delayed until just after the open
> consultation, so that more people could participate, and that Greece
> coordinate fully with the UN secretariat on the IGF going forward.  I
> would guess that the private sector will also express concerns.  In
> light
> of prior contacts etc, perhaps it should go to the Minister, not
> just the
> Ambassador.
>
> Best,
>
> Bill