[governance] Preparation of Athens meeting - IGF

William Drake wdrake at cpsr.org
Tue Jan 17 13:17:44 EST 2006

Hi,

I spoke today with both IGF and ITU people on other matters and mentioned
the invitation; neither had received it, at least as of yet.  Nice
attention to diplomatic detail here.

As evident at PrepCom-3, the Greek representative appears to have
ambitions.  It would be interesting to know whether they are actively
supported by the EC and other member states.  One suspects that all
politics are local here.

I think it would be very helpful if the caucus were to send a letter
urging that this meeting be delayed until just after the open
consultation, so that more people could participate, and that Greece
coordinate fully with the UN secretariat on the IGF going forward.  I
would guess that the private sector will also express concerns.  In light
of prior contacts etc, perhaps it should go to the Minister, not just the
Ambassador.

Best,

Bill