[governance] intervention draft - why are the more progressiveelements of IGF functions ommitted

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 15:03:55 EST 2006

Hello Bill,

On 2/17/06, William Drake <drake at hei.unige.ch> wrote:

> Discussion of possible public policy principles is not, in fact, ongoing
> in
> other forums.

In fact it is. Every day on dozens of lists (and occasional f2f).  My point
in fwding the excerpt was precisely on point. The things discussed in open,
archived, bottom-up ARE public policy issues. The fora exist and are making
decisions that many in CS say they want to help make.

> All that's been happening is that the US and EU are having
> private bilaterals, and the US is telling everyone they can join and
> support
> GAC,

Ah, but gov't can participate in the bottom up process as well as GAC, just
like you and me.

 which neither the Europeans nor the developing countries appears to view
> as an answer.  Brazil was quite explicit on this yesterday.  If it doesn't
> happen in the IGF, where do you think everyone excluded from the US-EU
> dialogue
> will take it?

If they want to talk about critical resources, then they should take it to
the appropriate existing forum.

 My money's on the ITU.  Do you prefer that to an open
> multistakeholder discussion in a nonbiding forum?

Course not, they haven't a clue how to manage critical resources.

I'm not clear what your point is with respect to the technical discussion
> you
> forwarded.

See above.

>  Does that mean that governments
> have no right to take an interest in public policy aspects, or that CS
> should
> not try to have a dialogue with them in order to encourage good policies
> and
> discourage bad ones?  Should we just tell them to sit down, be quiet, and
> eat
> their Wheaties?

No we should tell them (capacity building again) that there are tables at
which they can sit that are already doing some of these public policy
issues, and that they are welcome.  That they haven't (by and large) come to
the table and are insisting on making one for themselves, means that the
folk at the existing tables can and will ignore them if needed.

Hopes this enlightens!

/McTim