[governance] draft for a caucus intervention for Geneva

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Thu Feb 16 07:32:19 EST 2006

Hi
Access and affrodability IMO are not IG issues, but many of the ways in
which they can or cannot be handled are: for example interconnection rates,
south-south traffic, FLOSS
This is why it came out as a cross-cutting issue. It's a principle that
needs to be stated - we have internet governance to ensure the principles -
the stability & security of the Internet, human rights, access, etc.
Jacqueline

On 2/16/06, William Drake <drake at hei.unige.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Karen and I have gone around on this a bit since WGIG.  While it is of
> course an issue of paramount importance, I don't see access as an IG
> issue,
> there are no applicable international shared rule systems, it's a function
> of heterogeneous and uncoordinated national policies and corporate
> decisions.  Accordingly, it hasn't really been treated as such in
> WGIG/WSIS.
> Of course, one could say there should be international rules, but that's
> different, and I would think there is an obligation to say just what such
> rules might consist of.   I know Milton agrees with me and think some
> others
> did when this came up previously. There also arguably would be some danger
> of implying that international telecom rules, such as the ITU's treaty
> instruments, that are supposed to encourage telephone access, apply to the
> Internet.   Clearly it's an issue meriting further consideration and
> people
> can reasonably disagree on it.  We can talk about this in our drafting
> meeting today, but I don't think we'll reach a hard consensus on the point
> in the time available.  Maybe there's some mention that could be worked
> out
> to connect with and support APC's statement without declaring full stop
> that
> the caucus all agrees this is an IG issue per se.
>
> Best,
>
> Bill

Jacqueline Morris
www.carnivalondenet.com