[governance] intervention draft - why are the more progressive elements of IGF functions ommitted

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Thu Feb 16 05:20:39 EST 2006

> I think the first clause is a mis-inference, I don't see anyone here
> saying the IGF should not discuss policy issues.

Of course not.

On the second, per
> my reply to Michael,  affordability and access have not been treated
> as IG issues and I don't think we could get consensus amongst
> ourselves on the matter, which is NOT to say that nobody cares about
> these issues, it's just a question of in which context are they best
> addressed.  Again, we could certainly fudge the issue by saying we
> think these are key concerns with which IG policies should be
> consistent, but that's different.

I don't see why we would not want issues of access to be included.
Aren't these cross cutting issues too?

  And of course, you, APC, and
> others who feel that these manifestly are IG issues can submit
> statements to that effect.  I'm not sure what you mean by the third,
> but am guessing you refer to the enhanced cooperation on oversight
> issues.  I guarantee that the US-UK-Canada-Australia and private
> sector/ISOC will oppose that being in the forum, and as such it
> probably won't happen, but personally I would be happy to have the
> caucus statement say that the IGF should be a place where this is
> discussed.  I suspect others here would not agree, though.

I would like us to address this point if we can get consensus on it. I
was considering to add a sentence to the para on agenda setting or
thematic autonomy to mention the enhanced cooperation. I suspected
though that we wouldn't have consensus on this issue. This is why I
dropped it.

jeanette