[governance] intervention draft - why are the more progressive elements of IGF functions ommitted

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Thu Feb 16 02:29:49 EST 2006

Hi Parminder,

> > However, when I saw part 2 of the proposed submission it was nothing
> > less than shocking. All the points mentioned here are taken from the
> > Tunis agenda para 72 with the (of course deliberate) omission of the
> > three most important points of this para
> >
> > So are we supposed to merely reiterate what are already accepted as the
> > functions of IGF – minus the parts that I and many others think are by
> > far the most important ones ???

As Jeanette says, she lifted a piece of text from the abstract of my Malta presentation on Karen's suggestion.  The purpose of that piece of text was to underscore that the Tunis Agenda establishes a clear mandate for the IGF to work closely with and play a catalytic role in relation to existing governance mechanisms, not least with respect to the application of the WSIS principles.  I think this is a point of paramount importance precisely because, from a public interest standpoint, one would want the forum to help open up debate on the non-transparent, non-inclusive nature of some governance mechanisms, and to encourage change, but this part of the mandate---which is actually quite elaborate in the Agenda---is being systematically ignored because the more powerful states and the private sector/ISOC maintain that the IGF shouldn't do or even look hard at anything "being done elsewhere."  Hence the proposals on what, substantively, the forum might actually do are being spun toward what are deemed to be comparatively uncontroversial issues like spam and cybersecurity (that anyone could think these uncontroversial, especially the latter, reflects a complete nonrecognition of progressive positions, but whatever); read the submissions on the IGF site and this is clear.  We could end up with the forum being a once a year shebang where we get together and talk about a discreet topic and then go home, rather than being an ongoing process that inter alia fosters open dialogue on the democratization of IG generally.

Anyway, that's why there was a piece of the Tunis Agenda in the text Jeanette circulated.  No explanatory text was included as to why it was there because I didn't have time to write anything yesterday; you're reacting to an in process, choppy process of dumping stuff in to be massaged and clarified later.  So she was not trying to take anything off the table or seeking to imply

> > more or less, complete acceptance to the existing
> > arrangements which has never been the view of this caucus, of general

Hopefully this clarifies the intentionality, or lack thereof.

Two issues follow:

1.  I think it's important that we do have some text in the statement saying that we take seriously the Tunis mandate for the IGF to promote transparency and inclusion in extant arrangements, inter alia by assessing their conformity with the WSIS principles.  I would think you agree with this, no?  It's certainly consistent with caucus and CS positions more generally throughout the process.  Personally, I would like to see the IGF establish a working group on Application of the WSIS Principles, since the secretariat will not have the capacity or mandate to do this (status quo forces will ensure that), and it's not the kind of function that can be performed by a once a year big meeting alone.

Would people be amenable to including a call for this in the caucus text?  If so, we can do it today.  Either way, I may try to write and submit a more elaborate personal statement on the point, if I'm able to focus while listening to the discussion.

2.  Regarding this point,

> > With these omissions, you obviously do NOT want the IGF to discuss
> > public policy issues, take up issues of affordability and access of
> > Internet in the developing world, and discuss issues related to
> critical
> > Internet resources……

I think the first clause is a mis-inference, I don't see anyone here saying the IGF should not discuss policy issues.  On the second, per my reply to Michael,  affordability and access have not been treated as IG issues and I don't think we could get consensus amongst ourselves on the matter, which is NOT to say that nobody cares about these issues, it's just a question of in which context are they best addressed.  Again, we could certainly fudge the issue by saying we think these are key concerns with which IG policies should be consistent, but that's different.  And of course, you, APC, and others who feel that these manifestly are IG issues can submit statements to that effect.  I'm not sure what you mean by the third, but am guessing you refer to the enhanced cooperation on oversight issues.  I guarantee that the US-UK-Canada-Australia and private sector/ISOC will oppose that being in the forum, and as such it probably won't happen, but personally I would be happy to have the caucus statement say that the IGF should be a place where this is discussed.  I suspect others here would not agree, though.

We need some very quick dialogue on this point and guidance for today's drafting.

Best,

Bill