[governance] intervention draft - why are the more progressive elements of IGF functions ommitted

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Wed Feb 15 16:19:09 EST 2006

I support the essence of Parminder's comments - with respect for the
work people are doing I think it's not true that it "reflects a
collective process of thinking" in a meaningful way, because there
are very different levels of involvement and investment in the process.

This is the "governance of CS caucus" issue that we discussed last
year (and reached no agreement on from memory). Until there is
progress on this the status quo will remain, and the perception from
some that this suits a particular group with a shared history and a
relatively shared culture and assumptions will also remain.

The decision to move forward on more drafting, consensus-building,
and interventions without having addressed the process issues is a
clear message: the concerns raised by Guru, Laina, and others last
year are secondary to this group's activity.

The downplaying of our governance unfortunately echoes the failure of
some of our other internet governance institutions ("we're doing the
best we can", "we are open to any contributions"), and over the long
term leaves the group vulnerable to some of the critiques we are
making of others. The proverb about keeping one's own house in order
applies. As mentioned last year I am happy to participate
constructively in activities and discussions designed to address the
issue, as I know many others would be. I'm getting tired of questions
along this line being painted as counter-productive to more urgent
"matters at hand", perhaps this discussion can be continued post-Geneva.

Regards

Danny

--
Danny Butt