[governance] intervention draft - why are the more progressive elements of IGF functions ommitted

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Feb 15 08:04:14 EST 2006

Hi Jeanette,

I first read only part 1 of the submission, and thought its first point – ‘added value’ - was un-necessarily restrictive.

To say

>> The goal of the forum is to add value to the existing

institutional arrangements relevant to Internet governance>>>

is to give, more or less, complete acceptance to the existing arrangements which has never been the view of this caucus, of general WSIS CS and of most other participants at WSIS (especially when the tunis agenda uses more substantive language – ‘build on the existing structures of IG’). So, I wanted to take this point out and add one on – ‘domain and competence’ of IGF taking points from many submissions we have made on this point.

I was also not in favor of keeping the capacity building point at number 2 and wanted to move it down. I also had some problems with the part of the point on 'thematic autonomy' where the IGF function was made un-necessarily restrictive by mentioning only diffusing 'best practises' etc. We know we have always meant the IGF to have much greater functions.

I thought these omissions (from my point of view) were minor, and that they came from different emphasis on different points - most of which were, in their essence, shared among us.

However, when I saw part 2 of the proposed submission it was nothing less than shocking. All the points mentioned here are taken from the Tunis agenda para 72 with the (of course deliberate) omission of the three most important points of this para

a)                Discuss public policy issues related to key elements of Internet Governance in order to foster the sustainability, robustness, security, stability and development of the Internet;

e)      Advise all stakeholders in proposing ways and means to accelerate the availability and affordability of the Internet in the developing world;

j)        Discuss, inter alia, issues relating to critical Internet resources;

So are we supposed to merely reiterate what are already accepted as the functions of IGF – minus the parts that I and many others think are by far the most important ones ???

With these omissions, you obviously do NOT want the IGF to discuss public policy issues, take up issues of affordability and access of Internet in the developing world, and discuss issues related to critical Internet resources……

And I cant take it to be un-intended omission, because all your listed points come from this para 72 (quoted below), so you CHOSE not to list these three points….

I have some very basic problem with the politics that inform these omissions. I have tried to be constructive and all in my engagements on this list – but at this point I have no option but to state the matters in the strong terms that I have done here.

I think it is time IG caucus decided at least its broad political stands on the IG issues, within which the debate can take place. If CS is going to seek great dilution (from a progressive standpoint - whatever it may mean, but such terms are generally associated with CS) of commitments already made by governments in official summit docs rather than trying to take things further ahead, I don’t see the point in being with such an CS engagement at all. I know the multi-stakeholder and CS participations points are still there – but if these are the directions that CS participation is going to take, Id rather be represented by my country’s government’s nominee.

regards

Parminder

I am quoting para 72 of Tunis agenda for anyone to make their conclusions vis a vis clear specific exclusions mentioned above from the list submitted in the proposed submission on behalf of the IG caucus.

Para 72;  We ask the UN Secretary-General, in an open and inclusive process, to convene, by the second quarter of 2006, a meeting of the new forum for multi-stakeholder policy dialogue—called the Internet Governance Forum (IGF).The mandate of the Forum is to:

a)      Discuss public policy issues related to key elements of Internet Governance in order to foster the sustainability, robustness, security, stability and development of the Internet;

b)      Facilitate discourse between bodies dealing with different cross-cutting international public policies regarding the Internet and discuss issues that do not fall within the scope of any existing body;

c)      Interface with appropriate inter-governmental organisations and other institutions on matters under their purview;

d)      Facilitate the exchange of information and best practices, and in this regard make full use of the expertise of the academic, scientific and technical communities;

e)      Advise all stakeholders in proposing ways and means to accelerate the availability and affordability of the Internet in the developing world;

f)       Strengthen and enhance the engagement of stakeholders in existing and/or future Internet Governance mechanisms, particularly those from developing countries;

g)      Identify emerging issues, bring them to the attention of the relevant bodies and the general public, and, where appropriate, make recommendations;

h)      Contribute to capacity-building for Internet Governance in developing countries, drawing fully on local sources of knowledge and expertise;

i)        Promote and assess, on an ongoing basis, the embodiment of WSIS principles in Internet Governance processes;

j)        Discuss, inter alia, issues relating to critical Internet resources;

k)     Help to find solutions to the issues arising from the use and misuse of the Internet, of particular concern to everyday users;

l)        Publish its proceedings.

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change

91-80-26654134