[governance] location

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Tue Feb 14 23:24:28 EST 2006

I agree - travelling to Nariobi for me includes a stay over in London
(expensive) and took me 2 full days and nights from Trinidad. Geneva is a
straight hop - POS-LON-GVA  - and a lot cheaper
But then, remind me  - why would we have to travel to the secretariat?
Jacqueline

On 2/14/06, William Drake <drake at hei.unige.ch> wrote:

> Hi McTim,
>
> > neither do I, I am more concerned about another Geneva body growing
> > fat and moribund.
>
> I'm having trouble following.  Which are the organizations that are fat
> and
> moribund because they are in Geneva?  Was the WGIG secretariat fat and
> moribund?  Conversely, if the IGF secretariat was in Nairobi, does this
> mean
> by definition that it would be lean and mean?
>
> The secretariat will be small wherever it's located.  It will probably be
> funded by Northern European governments.  It will have to interact
> extensively with UN agencies involved in Internet and ICT issues.  It will
> have to be accessible to mission staff with responsibility for those
> issues,
> who interact with the agencies responsible for those issues.  It will have
> to have good and reasonably priced travel connections;  Nairobi would be
> tough, especially for people from the developing world (including, I
> suspect, intra-regionally).  Plus good infrastructure more generally to
> sustain the whole process.  And so on.
>
> Anyway, as Lee says, this won't be decided by us.  In fact, it's probably
> one of the issues on which we'd have the least influence.
>
> Best,
>
> Bill

Jacqueline Morris
www.carnivalondenet.com