[governance] location

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Tue Feb 14 13:40:29 EST 2006

Hi McTim,

> neither do I, I am more concerned about another Geneva body growing
> fat and moribund.

I'm having trouble following.  Which are the organizations that are fat and
moribund because they are in Geneva?  Was the WGIG secretariat fat and
moribund?  Conversely, if the IGF secretariat was in Nairobi, does this mean
by definition that it would be lean and mean?

The secretariat will be small wherever it's located.  It will probably be
funded by Northern European governments.  It will have to interact
extensively with UN agencies involved in Internet and ICT issues.  It will
have to be accessible to mission staff with responsibility for those issues,
who interact with the agencies responsible for those issues.  It will have
to have good and reasonably priced travel connections;  Nairobi would be
tough, especially for people from the developing world (including, I
suspect, intra-regionally).  Plus good infrastructure more generally to
sustain the whole process.  And so on.

Anyway, as Lee says, this won't be decided by us.  In fact, it's probably
one of the issues on which we'd have the least influence.

Best,

Bill