[governance] location

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Tue Feb 14 09:33:56 EST 2006

Hi,

I'd bet it will need to be a UN seat, including because of the missions
(case in point, as of last week anyway the US was planning on sending
mission people rather than Washingtonians to the consultation tomorrow...).
While I'd be happy to have more excuses to visit New York, this wouldn't
make sense due to costs, the lack of relevant international orgs with which
the forum will need to interact, and the difficulties many people experience
getting in and out of the US these days.  Plus, related to the latter, I
doubt many countries would be enthused about the US under any circumstances
right now.   With similar considerations in mind, it would not make sense to
put it in the other spots being loosely mentioned, e.g. Athens, Budapest,
Addis, Nairobi, etc.   In comparison, the arguments against Geneva are not
obvious.  If resources allow, there should also be geographically dispersed
meetings, either the annuals or parallel regionals.

More generally, given the complex way the politics are shaping up, I would
suggest that we should be supportive of a UN-coordinated process building
out from prior experience.  CS would lose in any other configuration.

Best,

Bill