[governance] malta/Composition and Organisation of the InternetGovernance Forum

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Tue Feb 14 07:28:57 EST 2006

At 01:16 PM 14.2.2006 '?.'  +0100, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

>I don't know how important the physical location of the forum will
>actually be since it is not expected to meet that often (once a year
>many people say). The location of the secretariat might be politically
>relevant because it has implications regarding the relationship to UN
>organizations and other bodies.

Yes, the forum will be meeting once a year, but no - the Secretariat
does not need to be necessarily in Geneva or New York (although it
may be useful).

>the cost of participating in these organizations for all countries.
>Because of its infrastructure,  Geneva is a relatively cheap location.

Actually I may argue about New York, where the level of participation
is higher, because the Secretary General is also there.

>Does the caucus have an opinion regarding the question of the
>secretariat's location? (Perhaps I should raise this question in a
>seperate email as it concerns the Geneva meeting later this week.)

Jeanette,
we don't have to forget that there might be also a steering
committee, and then, when it meets, it has to meet in a major hub,
located near the Secretariate, unless of course, it's easier to fly
3-4 secretariat people somewhere. In this case, the Secretariat can
be anywhere, as long as the SC meets in such a location.

By all means, it will be extremly useful if the IG Caucus puts down
on Thu/Fri the idea of contributing with one person to the
Secretariat and to the (eventually) SG. It could be someone for who
we may do some fundraising. That brings me back to my previous
proposal to form a non-profit or to use an existing one, that will do
such fundraising for facilitation of participation at the IG meetings.

best,
veni