[governance] Greek presentation @ Malta/Diplofoundation conference

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Sat Feb 11 04:28:33 EST 2006

Hi,

Also in Malta from the caucus are Wolfgang, Peng Hwa, Willy, and myself.
Below fyi is the abstract Diplo asked for on my presentation.  I hope CS can
be pretty consistent in urging that the Tunis Agenda mandate be taken
seriously with regard to promoting application of the WSIS principles to
extant mechanisms.  Some of us discussed the other night whether it would be
useful to try to assemble a caucus statement on this and related points.
Obviously, we'd have to move very quickly to assemble a submission before
the Thursday consultation....possible?

Bill

"Mandate for a Mine Field? The Internet Governance Forum and Existing
Mechanisms"

The Tunis Agenda for the Information Society calls on the Internet
Governance Forum (IGF) to play a multidimensional, catalytic role in
relation to existing Internet governance mechanisms.  Among other things,
the Forum is to:
.	Facilitate discourse between bodies dealing with different cross-cutting
international public policies regarding the Internet and discuss issues that
do not fall within the scope of any existing body;
.	Interface with appropriate inter-governmental organisations and other
institutions on matters under their purview;
.	Facilitate the exchange of information and best practices, and in this
regard make full use of the expertise of the academic, scientific and
technical communities;
.	Strengthen and enhance the engagement of stakeholders in existing and/or
future Internet Governance mechanisms, particularly those from developing
countries;
.	Identify emerging issues, bring them to the attention of the relevant
bodies and the general public, and, where appropriate, make recommendations;
.	Contribute to capacity-building for Internet Governance in developing
countries, drawing fully on local sources of knowledge and expertise;
.	Promote and assess, on an ongoing basis, the embodiment of WSIS principles
in Internet Governance processes.  [emphasis added]

To fulfill these essential roles, the IG will, at a minimum, need to:  a)
receive clear and consistent political support for translating its broadly
framed mandate into specific operational initiatives; b) be endowed with
sufficient institutional capacity, including in-house analytical
capabilities and/or robust, closely linked external or subsidiary networks
of expertise; and c) develop cooperative, transparent relationships with
existing organizations and networks, both intergovernmental and private
sector, that are not marred by defensive, turf-based reactions.  Absent
these conditions, the IGF will not realize its potential, and indeed could
be reduced to a "talking shop" of limited value for promoting the global
public interest.  Nevertheless, there are grounds for concern that these
conditions may not be met.  Accordingly, this presentation will briefly
highlight some of the challenges raised by the mandate and the obstacles
that will have to be overcome.