[governance] thread on ITU as potential locus for IG work

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Fri Feb 3 09:55:05 EST 2006

Hi,

Some of it, sure.  I'd bet on a fall meeting covering something
comparatively less sensitive than oversight, like spam or multilingual
names.  All I was saying at the outset was that while IGF and other
activities move forward, many governments will continue to push for
discussions of certain public policy dimensions in the ITU rather than
in--on more accurately, just in---GAC.  It's not necessarily either/or, and
it's not clear to what extent they will succeed, but this will be going on
and should be followed by CS.

> This puts, of course, significant onus on us to do a good job with IGF.

That would require a lot more CS dialogue and collaboration to devise joint
positions and ideas than has happened thus far.  As far as I can tell, the
MMWG has sort of stalled, and the consultation is less than two weeks away.
Conversations with some government and private sector people lead me to
believe that the sorts of ideas CS has advocated in the past are quite far
off their radars.  I'm not seeing thus far a lot of interest in really
leveraging the IGF to build MS networks or  working groups, analyze and
advance reforms of existing governance mechanisms, etc.  We could well end
up with just big annual meeting that talks around a topic for a couple of
days, adopts some really broad resolutions, and goes home, sort of like the
ITU's World Telecom Policy Forums.  Whoop dee doo.

Bill