[governance] thread on ITU as potential locus for IG work

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Fri Feb 3 08:58:24 EST 2006

Revisiting the thread on ITU as potential locus for IG work:

Bill's and Wolfgang's pointers to the German text raise the question
whether IGF is, in the end, the locus for IG work.

As a simple calculus, it seems likely that empowering either of the
existing protagonists (in this case the ITU) to take on the IG work,
itself, will have a clear effect.  It would extend the stalemate -
the struggle between two sides so on display through WSIS.  That
would deny opportunity for the hard-won potential that IGF brings.
Rather than create the possibility for necessary insights, through
hard work in a neutral forum, and from that a way forward - if we
re-embody the struggle, the stalemate will simply march on, already
at least a decade underway.

Philippe's report from the Reform consultation can be read, I think,
to see those sides-in-conflict still quite engaged, for example.

This puts, of course, significant onus on us to do a good job with
IGF.  Beyond that, the German text also points to the support and
research that the ITU might provide IGF.  My own judgment sees that
as significant.  It does get to a fulcrum:  money and budget.

As already detailed a couple times on the plenary list, the ITU took
a serious hit to its budget just a few years ago - a nine percent
reduction is the number that comes to my mind.  Some of the research
work at the ITU is already done with remarkably abstemious sums, and
the results are not uncommonly cited around the world.  To my mind,
we should be so pleased at such a resource for IGF.

If the governments are intent on this course of action, it can happen
only if they supply the budget.  Instead of further budget
reductions, as hinted in Philippe's report of the consultation (I
haven't looked at the budget document itself, nor do I know even the
general budget structure), prior cuts need to be restored and then
supplemented generously.  If miracles are already the order of the
day from ITU research efforts, executed with remarkably small
budgets, we - and the governments - can ask them to take on real
additional work only with adequate funds.

Yes, there would be some questions about neutrality of ITU findings.
But they already deal with that question, in current work.
Especially, ITU research support would presumably be in partnership
with research capabilities from CS, now suggested for instance by
Jean-Louis Fullsack on the plenary list to be a Voluntary Corps.  We
already see more than one such set of work from CS.

Bye-the-bye, the budget question may also reflect indirectly on CS
participation in ITU affairs.  With sufficient budget from
governments and PS (perhaps including some reform of the financial
support model), an ITU that does not feel pressed budgetarily can see
its way to make more flexible arrangements, such as for
participation.  That does not deal with another factor, though,
commitment of newcomers to the mission.

In the end, budget is one of the measures of concrete support for WSIS goals.

As to the upcoming SG election, by all reports that is an intricate
affair, one that the brave handicap.

David