[governance] Four legs good, two legs bad

Louis Pouzin pouzin at well.com
Thu Dec 14 19:56:58 EST 2006

Hi Milton,

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:59:27 -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:

>Right, telecoms is a service. Indeed, as we all know internet relies on telecom facilities. Unlike the Internet, numbering and signaling resources were developed and controlled nationally. So global governance is multi-lateral, although most of the industry is now transnational due to the WTO BTA.

Telecom industry now carries much more transnational weight than in the past. In practice it only takes a few nays from major industry actors to block a proposal. There is some power balance between states and lobbies.

>I don't think anyone here thinks that I or IGP are defenders of unilateral control.

You and IGP certainly deserve much credit for your explicit and solid positions.

>Tell me how throwing the internet into a traditional multi-lateral power structure controlled by nation-states would make things better. Feel free to make your case. I'm all ears.

Should I ? No kidding. I would expect limited and deceptive progress in international IG for the next five years. Evolutions should occur de facto in the field. Mottoes are subsidiarity and localization. The slogan "internet is for everyone" is nonsense without "internet in my language". There lie the seeds of change. Try and infer the effects.

Best
     governance at lists.cpsr.org