[governance] Re: Rhonda

Ronda Hauben ronda at panix.com
Mon Dec 11 10:18:20 EST 2006

Hi Milton, Bill, Laina, Lee, David, Chango and others

It is important that the Internet was *not* something 'accidental and
serendipitous' as Milton wrote:

Milton Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>The US govt promoted and subsidized the internet as a tiny
>closed network for academics and researchers. The agency that made the
>decision to open it to the public was not an official policy making
>organ of the US government but a research foundation and an informal
>committee of network users within the Federal government. It's mutation
>into a public mass medium was largely "accidental" and serendipitous.

There was a vision that inspired the researchers to do the work on
building an international communications network.

This vision was articulated long before the creation of the Internet.

It isn't that deregulation or any such activity created the Internet.

It wasn't that a 'tiny closed network for academics and researchers'
created the Internet.

That's why I gave the url for the article I sent to this list before the
Tunis WSIS meeting in November 2005.

There was a vision that provided inspiration, there was a large group of
researchers from various countries around the world, which were provided
leadership by the U.S. researchers in the Information Processing
Techniques Office (IPTO) at ARPA, who did the research and development to
create the Internet in the 1970s and 1980s.

By the 1990s there was an international communications network for
researchers in other countries to connect to and they did.

I continue to suggest that those interested in nourishing the future of
the Internet will benefit from knowing something of its past development,
especially of the development that built the international ties and made
such ties possible.

For a start there is:

The International Origins of the Internet and the Impact of this
Framework on its Future

http://ais.org/~ronda/new.papers/nov4talk2.doc

Also we had a session at the PPF conference that went on in Tunis during
WSIS on the

"Origin and Early Development of the Internet and of the
Netizen: their Impact on Science and Society"

Session  Chair:

Ronda Hauben, Columbia University

This session will focus on the history of the development of computer
networks, the linking of these networks via the creation of the Internet,
and the emergence of the active participants in these networks, the
netizens (i.e.,net.citizens).

Ronda Hauben (Columbia University) - The International and Scientific
Origins of the Internet and the Emergence of the Netizen

Jay Hauben (Columbia University Libraries, Columbia University) - The
Vision of JCR Licklider and the Libraries of the Future

Werner Zorn (Hasso-Plattner- Institute at the University of Potsdam,
Germany) - German-Chinese Collaboration in the First Stage of Open
networking in China

Kilnam Chon (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department (EECS)
Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Korea) - The
Development of Networking and the Internet in Korea and Asia: A History

Anders Ekeland (Economist, NIFU STEP - Centre for innovation
research/Senter for innovasjonsforskning, Norway) - Netizens and
Protecting the Public Interest in the Development and Management of the
Internet: An Economist's Perspective

The overheads are online and the papers we presented are also available
(we are considering a book publication of the papers we presented at the
PPF session)

http://www.worldsci.net/tunis/program.htm#Hauben

-
I suggest that there be serious attention to an understanding of this
early development and to the implications for the future of the Internet.

with best wishes

Ronda

P.S. My name is without the "h" in Ronda

Netizen: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet
http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook/

     governance at lists.cpsr.org