[governance] Four legs good, two legs bad

Sylvia Caras sylvia.caras at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 14:29:53 EST 2006

On 12/8/06, l. d. misek-falkoff <ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been at some U.N. / ICT related events lately, and I really think and
> feel that to a large extent the burden is ours to explain ICT, computing,
> information systems.

Is the UN culture different in Geneva than New York?  I've worked with
Linda on one UN project (she is in New York and involved in several).
Drafting the UN Convention on Rights of People with Disabilities
(CRPD), to be adopted December 13, we all found that there was a huge
amount of educating that needed to be done, of delegates, of UN staff,
and of each other.  Over the five years of meetings, the International
Disability Caucus (IDC) changed the way the UN did business, for this
Convention, and perhaps for future work.  The IDC insisted that people
with disabilities were the stakeholders and had to be central.  I
would think the same holds for internet governance, that civil
society, and end-users, people at the keyboards, need to be centrally
included.

Sylvia
     governance at lists.cpsr.org