[governance] New dot com agreement changes USG-ICANN relationship

Ronda Hauben ronda at panix.com
Thu Dec 7 06:56:56 EST 2006

On 12/4/06, Milton Mueller <Mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>We need a new global governance regime and in entering into it we must
>as a principle be deeply aware of the fact that the Internet's growth
>and much of its value came from the fact that govts had no regulation or
>control over how it initially evolved.

The myth that government had no regulation or control over how the
Internet initially evolved is important to put to rest.

The Internet was built under a good form of government leadership.

The problem of the myth is that instead of building on the actual model
that made it possible to create the Internet, the actual practice is
thrown out the window and models are created that have no basis for being
with regard to the Internet.

Instead of paying serious attention to the history and practice of how the
Internet was built, there is the fallacious effort to invent something
that has no connection to the Internet and its origin.

This is what ICANN has done and unfortunately the efforts to challenge
ICANN fall into this same mode. It would be more helpful for those
offering such a challenge to be studying the history fo how the Internet
was developed and considering the implications of this development toward
its future. Following was a talk I gave toward beginning this process:

The International Origins of the Internet
and the Impact of this Framework on its Future

http://ais.org/~ronda/new.papers/nov4talk2.doc

best wishes

Ronda

Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet

http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook
     governance at lists.cpsr.org