[governance] New dot com agreement changes USG-ICANN relationship

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Wed Dec 6 15:58:21 EST 2006

Hi,

I am still not able to asess how much departure the new dot com agreement of
USG with VeriSign would bring to the current ICANN framework. (I need my
homework bit more, I mean).

Having been involved with ICANN mostly on AtLarge area for so many years
now, I could tell organizational shortcomings of the ICANN relatively
easily. Some of these are expressed in the recently agreed "self-review" of
ALAC:

http://icannwiki.org/ALAC:Self_Assessment_and_Next_Steps

I also like to add my recent observation about ITU, in their standard-making
process around NGN (Next Generation Network). It is very much done in a
traditional ITU way, in the working group, where most of the works are done
by the sector members, meaing private company or industry people who are
technical expert, with some government people also involved.

All the draft document, members of the group etc are not for the public,
thus it is hard to trace what is being discussed. Some of the so
called "technical" standards involves public policy issues, such as
security, identity management, which directly relate to privacy, but since
these are all kept behind, it is almost impossible for policy people
to provide any inputs or influence.

In that sense, yes, ICANN is much more open and transparent and, therefore
easier to track by us, civil society, about the
possible policy areas.

izumi

--
                      >> Izumi Aizu <<