[governance] New dot com agreement changes USG-ICANN relationship

l.d.misek-falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 13:01:29 EST 2006

Dear Veni,

*An appreciative  reflection on your post, even if more interpretive than
direct.*
**
*Regarding Guarding* privacy or at least the "chance" to act with some
privacy (referencing your note: "Or if you search for "HIV", you may be
blamed as HIV-positive, and your life ruined. Etc., etc." ..

the following may seem at a slant but is intended to agree that group
governance over individuals is an extremely crucial topic, here regarding
electronic networks. And overreaching may be remarkably tempting.

There is some talk that the newly tested natrualistic xrays of persons
whole-body at airports might very soon find their ways far "afield" from
LANS.  Check out the Internet to see inside bodies, by individual's names -
and all that this implies (except for promises of certain body parts to be
masked. At least sort of, since weapons might be so concealed)...

Sic transit Identity. Who should monitor, and monitor the monitors?

Best wishes, Linda.

On 12/3/06, Veni Markovski <veni at veni.com> wrote:

> I didn't know AI has anything to do with the
> Internet, mainly the DNS / root servers / IP?
>
> Let's be serious, for at least 5 minutes, can we?
> It's one thing to talk about organizations that
> monitor / criticize governments, and which has
> built its statute based on a history that has had
> nothing to do with governments. It's quite
> different to talk about organization, that was
> created in order to take something from a
> particular government, at a point when no other
> governments were interested in it.
> So, when comparing apples, compare them with apples, not with pears.
>
> Also, if we have to talk about an example of an
> organization that did something similar to what
> AI did in the Internet field, I'd like to talk
> real issues, not theoretical ones. I have the
> honor to be chair of an organization that was
> created from individuals, sued a couple of
> governments, and managed to make them understand
> that what ISOC-Bulgaria says about the Internet,
> is what they should be doing. Now, can an
> international organization do that in 250
> countries and teritories? I doubt it. Can ISOC
> chapters do that? In certain countries - yes. In
> certain - may be. In certain - hardly.
>
> So, instead of blaming ICANN for the fact that
> it's doing its job in the best way it can (and
> that does not mean the work can't be done better;
> but for the time being there's no one else who
> can do it better), and arguing that it's a
> problem of the leadership / staff / board / lobby
> / etc., perhaps it's better to think about
> improving the Internet penetration, the
> affordable access to the Internet, etc. Hardly
> anyone of the one billion users cares about
> ICANN. The only people who care seem to be the
> ones who have the funding and the time to build
> their lives around ICANN. Life does not start,
> neither it ends with ICANN. I prefer to deal with
> the fact that there are places, where if you
> publish something on the web, your computers may
> be confiscated by the police. Or if you search
> for "HIV", you may be blamed as HIV-positive, and your life ruined. Etc.,
> etc.
>
> veni

> >>... do you really believe that such an organization could have any
> >>impact on governments?
> >

> >yes.
> >
> >e.g. amnesty international does
> >
> >a.
>

> Sincerely,
> Veni Markovski
> http://www.veni.com
>
> check also my blog:
> http://blog.veni.com

Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff (Ph.D., J.D.)
(914) 769 3652
InterNetizen, ARPANet-Internet 47+ years...
Design/Implementation/Documentation GML Markup System prescursor to HTML.