[governance] New dot com agreement changes USG-ICANN relationship

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Sun Dec 3 12:13:21 EST 2006

I didn't know AI has anything to do with the
Internet, mainly the DNS / root servers / IP?

Let's be serious, for at least 5 minutes, can we?
It's one thing to talk about organizations that
monitor / criticize governments, and which has
built its statute based on a history that has had
nothing to do with governments. It's quite
different to talk about organization, that was
created in order to take something from a
particular government, at a point when no other
governments were interested in it.
So, when comparing apples, compare them with apples, not with pears.

Also, if we have to talk about an example of an
organization that did something similar to what
AI did in the Internet field, I'd like to talk
real issues, not theoretical ones. I have the
honor to be chair of an organization that was
created from individuals, sued a couple of
governments, and managed to make them understand
that what ISOC-Bulgaria says about the Internet,
is what they should be doing. Now, can an
international organization do that in 250
countries and teritories? I doubt it. Can ISOC
chapters do that? In certain countries - yes. In
certain - may be. In certain - hardly.

So, instead of blaming ICANN for the fact that
it's doing its job in the best way it can (and
that does not mean the work can't be done better;
but for the time being there's no one else who
can do it better), and arguing that it's a
problem of the leadership / staff / board / lobby
/ etc., perhaps it's better to think about
improving the Internet penetration, the
affordable access to the Internet, etc. Hardly
anyone of the one billion users cares about
ICANN. The only people who care seem to be the
ones who have the funding and the time to build
their lives around ICANN. Life does not start,
neither it ends with ICANN. I prefer to deal with
the fact that there are places, where if you
publish something on the web, your computers may
be confiscated by the police. Or if you search
for "HIV", you may be blamed as HIV-positive, and your life ruined. Etc., etc.

veni

At 02:56 PM 03.12.2006 '?.'Ъ▄Ж  -0200, Avri Doria wrote:

>On 3 dec 2006, at 12.43, Veni Markovski wrote:
>

>>>If Icann did not exist, may be we would have the opportunity to
>>>finally create an autonomous, pluralist, truly international,
>>>government-independent organization.
>>
>>... do you really believe that such an organization could have any
>>impact on governments?
>

>yes.
>
>e.g. amnesty international does
>
>a.