[governance] the continuing NN debate

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Aug 30 02:47:01 EDT 2006

"Parminder" <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> I know there has been a surfeit of NN news, but this is something forwarded
> to me by somehow who has been passively following the debate. And I think it
> is useful to illustrate that 'how we see' determines 'what we do' vis-à-vis
> the Internet as with everything else. I say this in connection with call for
> a framework convention on the Internet to determine the principles of how we
> see the Internet and what we expect it to do...
>
> Parminder
>

> http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/082006B.shtml
>
> Congress Poised to Unravel the Internet
>     By Jeffrey Chester
>     The Nation
>
>     Friday 18 August 2006
>
>     Lured by huge checks handed out by the country's top lobbyists, members
> of Congress could soon strike a blow against Internet freedom as they seek
> to resolve the hot-button controversy over preserving "network neutrality."
[...]

Would the proposed "Framework Convention on the Internet" be effective
at limiting the chances of the business interests for which these
lobbyists are working to co-opt the internet, turning it into
something that primarily serves those commercial interests?

If not, what positive benefits can we expect to come from this
Framework Convention?

If yes, what's the strategy for getting this Framework Convention
adopted, while preventing the really good, practically effective
parts from being taken out prior to the adoption of the Framework
Convention?

Greetings,
Norbert.

--