[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] US/ICANN agreement to be over

Peter Dambier peter at echnaton.serveftp.com
Fri Aug 11 18:26:29 EDT 2006

McTim wrote:

> On 8/11/06, *Joe Baptista* <baptista at cynikal.net
> <mailto:baptista at cynikal.net>> wrote:
>

>     Are in most cases distributed with software (mainly BIND) and they are
>     coded in a file called a cache.  It should be noted that the BIND
>     software
>     package has been and still is under the direct control of Paul Vixie -
>     the f root operator.  Which I guess gos to explain alot - including the
>     lack of choice.
>

> There are plenty of choices out there besides BIND, BIND is a useful
> piece of software, which probably explains it's popularity.

Windows is a popular software. That is the reason why ALL botnets consist
of windows bots only. At least some gouvernments are beginning to see the risk.

Ask the Bind developpers. It is risky to run bind versions below 9.something.
I am running BIND 9.4.0b1 side by side with djbdns. But look what is out in
the wild internet. Many companies are running 8.something or even 4.something.

I am looking for choices but I have only found either bind or djbdns. There
used to be others but just try and find the bug lists. Try to compile and
install djbdns. Then you know why bind is quasi monopoly.

>     Well - first off security issues are BIG here.  For year now Paul
>     and some
>     of the root operators have shared their data with the intellegence
>     community.  This means serious privacy issues.  Which see write up on
>     same:
>
>     http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/papers/Root_Server_Privacy_Complaint.pdf
>     <http://www.cynikal.net/%7Ebaptista/papers/Root_Server_Privacy_Complaint.pdf>
>

> There is no indication in this paper that the above allegation is true,
> it only describes the possibility of it happening.
>
> In addition, the paper says; "The continued operations of these roots by
> Commerce can be subject to abuse." , but below, you say there are no
> contracts. These two positions are contradictory to me.

This is what is happening to Iraq's Internet domain

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/30/iraq_internet_domain/

Iraq, its domain and the ‘terrorist-funding’ owner

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/04/09/iraq_its_domain/

So theregister.co.uk are saying that there exist problems with Iraq ccTLD.

There have been complaints about Verisign misusing their position in control
of DNS.

http://www.petitioncenter.com/verisign-dns/

Libya disappears from the Internet

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/13/libya_falls_off_net/

>     Two - a fact not much discussed is the very serious fact that non of the
>     root operators in the U.S. legacy chain are under contract.  THERE
>     ARE NO
>     CONTRACTS.  And thats not very professional.  Should scare alot of
>     people
>     on these lists.  The current legacy operations are a rag tag group of
>     volunteers associated more through special interests then a need to
>     serve.
>

> On the contrary, non of the root-ops are volunteers. they are all paid
> by their organisations to run these servers.  They are in no way a "rag
> tag" group, rather, they are highly professional, skilled network
> engineers.  That these organisations have no contract with ICANN or the
> USG does not detract from their ability to help maintain a stable DNS.
>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
> $ whois -h whois.afrinic.net <http://whois.afrinic.net> mctim