[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] US/ICANN agreement to be over

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 13:49:13 EDT 2006

On 8/11/06, Joe Baptista <baptista at cynikal.net> wrote:

> Are in most cases distributed with software (mainly BIND) and they are
> coded in a file called a cache.  It should be noted that the BIND software
> package has been and still is under the direct control of Paul Vixie -
> the f root operator.  Which I guess gos to explain alot - including the
> lack of choice.

There are plenty of choices out there besides BIND, BIND is a useful piece
of software, which probably explains it's popularity.

> Well - first off security issues are BIG here.  For year now Paul and some
>
> of the root operators have shared their data with the intellegence
> community.  This means serious privacy issues.  Which see write up on
> same:
>
> http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/papers/Root_Server_Privacy_Complaint.pdf<http://www.cynikal.net/%7Ebaptista/papers/Root_Server_Privacy_Complaint.pdf>

There is no indication in this paper that the above allegation is true, it
only describes the possibility of it happening.

In addition, the paper says; "The continued operations of these roots by
Commerce can be subject to abuse." , but below, you say there are no
contracts. These two positions are contradictory to me.

Two - a fact not much discussed is the very serious fact that non of the
> root operators in the U.S. legacy chain are under contract.  THERE ARE NO
> CONTRACTS.  And thats not very professional.  Should scare alot of people
> on these lists.  The current legacy operations are a rag tag group of
> volunteers associated more through special interests then a need to serve.

On the contrary, non of the root-ops are volunteers. they are all paid by
their organisations to run these servers.  They are in no way a "rag tag"
group, rather, they are highly professional, skilled network engineers.
That these organisations have no contract with ICANN or the USG does not
detract from their ability to help maintain a stable DNS.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim