[governance] Burr & Cade: proposal for introducingmulti-lateral oversight of the root

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Aug 4 08:17:17 EDT 2006

Bertrand de La Chapelle <bdelachapelle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wolfgang is right : the challenge we all are confronted with is to invent a
> new type of multi-stakeholder structure (whatever that is) that can be
> established directly at the international level and is not a traditional
> intergovernmental organization.

I agree wholeheartedly.  In fact, in the "Internet Quality Labels"
proposal which I have drafted, I have included some ideas for such
a multi-stakeholder structure.

See:

http://intgovforum.org/Substantive_1st_IGF/SwissInternetUserGroup.txt

I would propose that before attempting to apply the principle of
multistakeholder accountability to existing organizations of great
significance like ICANN, the concept should first be tried out and
proven to work well at a smaller scale, like for example with a
certification organisation for "Internet Quality Labels".

> As far as I know, there is no possibility today to create entities
> directly at the international level, apart from intergovernmental
> organizations (and this requires very complex and lengthy
> negotiations and treaties) : you cannot create for instance a global
> company or a global NGO right away, able to operate (and be
> recognized) in all countries on the basis of their website.

I think that a major reason for this is the question of how
commitments that the "global company" or "global NGO" enters into
would be enforced:  That would require a court system with global
power to have people (who are in contept of court decisions)
arrested and punished.

I believe that the realistic way forward is to work with organizations
which are incorporated in some country with well-fuctioning court
system and respect for human rights, and have those organizations
enter legally binding commitments (enforcable through the court
system of whatever country the organization is incorporated in) to
act according to specific, good principles of multistakeholder
accountability.

Greetings,
Norbert.

--