[governance] Re: Burr & Cade: proposal for introducingmulti-lateral oversight of the root

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 18:31:16 EDT 2006

Lee,

A personal analysis of the US government attitude in the WSIS process
regarding those issues. There certainly are other elements at play, of
course, and I have no isnsider information :-).

I suppose there was a strategic decision from the US government NOT to have
anything substantial decided on ICANN or Internet Governance through the
WSIS process itself because it remained - in spite of some improvements -
fundamentally a UN process. This would have set a precedent for other
issues. We might not like it because it slowed down the process, but it is
understandable in a broader picture.

Now that this process is over in its pure UN format, there can be some
loosening of positions, such as a move on ICANN, if less on IANA. Hence the
importance of the IGF space as a more neutral and multi-stakeholder
environment to explore a better architecture. There is a window of
opportunity here for ALL actors, including governments, to fully take
advantage of.

The key challenge now is to design something innovative that is in line with
what the US government has repeatedly advocated through the successive MoUs
and organizes a peaceful transition to a more international framework.

In discussing these issues, the IGF has no decision-making capacity but it
has, potentially, a real decision-shaping capacity,precisely because of its
flexible format and composition.

I always like to remind people of the exchange between ambassador Khan and
Valerie d'Costa in the last days of the extended PrepCom3 in Tunis : the
debate is not between those who want change and those who do not; it is
about the scope and speed of the evolution.

Best

Bertrand