[governance] ICANN Studienkreis

Louis Pouzin pouzin at well.com
Thu Aug 3 19:28:55 EDT 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 11:16:53 +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>[Yet another so called anti-spam protection, but uninformed people.]

>It calls back your email server, to check that the return address is valid. If you use greylisting (ENST does) or similar techniques, it will fail. Check your logs. When you write to Wolfgang, you get the callback:

>Aug  1 11:14:30 ariane postfix/smtpd[29714]: connect from mailgate.urz.uni-halle.de[141.48.3.51]

>and possibly a refusal:

There was no other diag info than the one in my previous posting. It's too incomplete and cryptic to be of any help to a user.

It may be due to my "From" address being different from the address of the computer or the server used to send the msg. This is a routine environment in today's internet. The only other similar failure I have observed is with a qmail-send routine in an uncertain mailing system. Lot of my mails would get bumped if all mail servers were as peculiar as mailgate2.urz.uni-halle.de.

Btw, spammers have learned long ago how to bypass those dogood features, which are mostly effective in blocking legitimate mail.

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:53:01 +0200, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

>By the way, greylisting (or other similar "anti-spam" devices that only a nerd could conceive, and that make sane people like Louis go mad) would be an interesting subject for discussion in Athens...

Not clear that the Athens meeting is an adequate setting for spamology, although security is one of the 4 main themes. At least 3 contributions address spam: ITU, OECD, ICC.

The kludgy and goofy greylisting amateur tricks would better belong to a specialized task force. But the policy aspects should qualify for a slot in Athens. Intranets, NATs, firewalls, proprietary or defective SW, and do-it-yourself anti-spam recreate the internet of the 80's. A user had only one address, one server, and had better know a route to send a msg. Delivery was unpredictable, like in a guerilla infested country.

Smalltalk about the global internet is rather funny, as we live with millions of fragments more or less friendly to each other, just like in real life. The problem is to keep dysfunctions within reasonable limits. Having laws instead of guns.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org