[governance] Re: ICANN Studienkreis

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Tue Aug 1 09:35:11 EDT 2006

The whole issue of - SPAM - how to deal with it from a technical
perspective and the policy issues involved likely would be a good idea
for a workshop and/or panel at Athens.

An idea would be to have a panel with these different perspectives:

- technologists and/or engineers : explaining the issue and the
numerous methods used to combat spam

- Consumer protection and/or developping country perspective :
Desribing the costs, damages and harm SPAM does..

- Govt/ policy experts : describing an overview of the protocols and/or
frameworks in place to deal with spam

- NGO/digital rights experts : describing the rights implications of
spam filtering. Unintended consequeces and implications for free speech

There was a panel recently at the 2006 NTEN NTC conference titled -
The Future of Email Delivery - that would be good to replicate somehow.
Refs are below.

http://nten.org/conferences-2006-ntc
http://stream.luxmedia.com/?file=clients/nten/ntc06_EmailForum.rm
(video archive)

I hope this idea proves useful. Would be good to collaboratively
develop it further.

regards

Robert

     governance at lists.cpsr.org